Friday, September 21, 2007

My Aunt Virginia Romanou

I just returned from a short vacation to Greece to relax, re-energize and reconnect with my family. One relative I got to see and someone who I absoultely adore and admire as both a person and an artistwas my aunt Virginia, who I hadn't seen in too long (something like 5+ years). Virginia is an amazing artist and designer who has impeccable taste and endless energy! We feel more like siblings than aunt and nephew as it's so obvious we share the same blood.

I used to often wish that I could leave all I know behind and just move back to Greece to live with Virginia and her partner Yianni and just paint all day. As the years have passed and my design career has flourished, that need has faded, but having her and Yianni close by would really make for a more fulfilling life both personally and creatively. The 2 of them have been huge influences on me and my art (which neither of them know) and I long for the day that they can come see one of my shows or better yet, critique my work and give me some guidance with my own art and style.

I hope that it wont be 5 years before I see Virginia again, and I'm certain it wont. If all goes well, within a couple of years I'll be living and working in Europe, which would make things that much simpler. Anyway, I was so happy to see her, even if only for an evening and I'm glad that I can use my blog as a way to share some of my work with her, which could be the first time she's seen any of it! Thank you internet!

No comments: